A railway worker who was exposed to asbestos died almost 35 years after he took redundancy, Derbyshire Live has reported.
An inquest heard that Maurice Chapman, 88, died from industrial disease after spending 20 years exposed to the dust.
Assistant coroner Louise Pinder said Mr Champan sadly died in his home in January 2020.
Mr Chapman, who also had pneumonia, was “exposed to asbestos every day” until he took redundancy in 1986.
The electrical engineer started at British Rail in 1946 at the Derby Carriage and Wagon works. He left for a period of time when he joined the army before re-joining as an electrician.
In 2017, he developed symptoms after having a chesty cough and was short of breath.
In a document read out to the court from 2017, Mr Chapman said he had been referred for an X-ray. He said:
“The wagon shells were sprayed with a coat of asbestos. You could taste it and see it in the atmosphere.
I sprayed for approximately half the week. I was exposed to it every day. There was an issue over asbestos in the late 70s and a superintendent told us it would not cause any harm whatsoever.
He died months later and we were very shocked by this. I worked for over 20 years with exposure.”
Pathologist Doctor Jones said a post-mortem showed there was staining of the lungs which shows asbestos with a background of severe pneumonia.
Concluding, Louise Pinder said:
“Mr Chapman was exposed to asbestos while working as an electrician.
He died at home as result of industrial disease. I would like to offer the family my sincere condolences.”