Indoor market closed following fear of asbestos exposure

The indoor market in Sandbach has been closed until further notice following concerns that a collapsed roof may have exposed asbestos.

Sandbach Town Council has taken the decision under advice from its health and safety consultants Wirehouse after heavy rainfall on Thursday evening led to part of the market’s internal roof caving in.

Traders were reportedly informed early on Friday morning that the indoor market would be closed over the weekend and The Chronicle understands an asbestos contractor attended the site yesterday to obtain a sample for investigation.

A spokesman for the town council said:

“Due to the heavy rain yesterday (Thursday), part of the internal indoor Market Hall roof has collapsed.

Sandbach Town Council have concerns that potential asbestos material may be present and has been exposed as a result.

In the interests of health and safety, Sandbach Market Hall will be closed temporarily and an update will be provided early next week.

The front four shops units and the Outdoor Market will continue to trade as normal. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.”

Fishmonger and National Market Traders Federation chairman Alan Smith, was still selling fish round the back of the Market Hall yesterday having been provided with a gazebo by the council. He said:

“There was a leak on Thursday, it was torrential rain and on Friday they saw something on the floor that may have resembled asbestos.

I’m very upset for the traders who can’t go in the building to get their gear.”

Do you have any concerns regarding asbestos in your workplace?
If so, contact the experts for an assessment.