A common question and one that needs to be comprehensively addressed!
Asbestos may be part of any commercial or domestic building which was built or refurbished before the year 2000. Asbestos can typically still be found in any of the following:
- asbestos cement products (pipes, flues, roofs etc)
- lagging (on pipes and boilers etc)
- water tanks and toilet cisterns
- asbestos insulating board (AIB – which closely resembles typical plasterboard)
- loose asbestos in ceiling and wall cavities
- sprayed coatings on ceilings, walls and beams / columns
- textured decorative coatings (commonly referred to as Artex)
- floor tiles
- textiles and composites
HSE has produced an excellent interactive diagram which illustrates where asbestos may be found.
Their asbestos image gallery also provides real photographs of typical asbestos-containing materials that can still be found today.
Got any more questions, or need reassuring about any of this?
For expert, impartial advice, drop us a line here or call us direct on 0844 264 0094.