Retired carpenter died of asbestos poisoning aged just 69

A former carpenter died of asbestos poisoning aged 69 after being exposed to it during his career. James Arnott, from Ross-on-Wye, died in April at Hereford County Hospital following a short battled with cancer caused by previous exposure to asbestos.

At an inquest into his death held at Hereford Town Hall on Wednesday county coroner Mark Bricknell concluded that his death was death due to industrial disease.

Dr Andrew Leeman, of Pendeen Surgery, Ross-on-Wye said that Mr Arnott had visited him in January complaining of chest pains. After further complaints of breathlessness he was taken to Hereford County Hospital and diagnosed with lung cancer.

Dr Leeman added that despite the best efforts of medical staff and his family to look after him at home in March Mr Arnott was transferred to Ross Community Hospital.

Dr Philip Ryan, department of respiratory at the county hospital, said that Mr Arnott had been exposed to asbestos for many years as a carpenter during which he had been sprayed down with water to remove asbestos dust.

Caroline Williams, the niece of Mr Arnott said that before his death her uncle wanted to try and make a claim for asbestos poisoning and had contacted the Asbestos Support Group.