Retired Darwen electrician killed by asbestos injuries, Blackburn inquest is told

An inquest has been told how a retired electrician has died from asbestos related injuries, reports the Lancashire Telegraph.

Wayne Shepherd, of Frederick Street, Darwen died at Royal Blackburn Hospital in January.

The inquest heard the 74-year-old was admitted on December 27 after suffering from acute exacerbation. Joan, Mr Shepherd’s wife, said he used to cut up asbestos sheets during his years as a electrician.

Dr Prescott, a consultant pathologist at the hospital, said Mr Shepherd had been suffering with bronchopneumonia, a very serious infection in the lungs. He said:

“My medical cause of death is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, caused by asbestos exposure as well as interstitial fibrosis and bronchopneumonia.”

Michael Singleton, East Lancashire’s senior coroner, said:

“The conclusion I reach is one of occupational disease. I offer my condolences to the family.

I remember when asbestos was thought of as a miracle product. What are we doing today that in 20 or 30 years time we will look back on and wonder was someone looking at that.

I offer my heartfelt sympathy.”