The widow of a former music teacher has received a six-figure sum after her husband was exposed to asbestos in the classroom, reports ITV News.
Julie Shaw’s husband Bryan taught at Leicester Grammar School for 21 years until 2012. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a rare and incurable form of cancer, in 2011. He died from the disease four years later.
It is believed Mr Shaw was unknowingly exposed asbestos when he worked at the St Nicholas building, the school’s former site in St Martins, Leicester.
According to solicitor firm Slater and Gordon Lawyers, who represent Mrs Shaw, it is thought that asbestos was not properly cleared when it was removed from piping in the music practice room in 1985.
The couple pursued a legal case against Leicester Grammar School Trust, which Mrs Shaw continued after her husband’s death.
The case has now been settled out of court, in an undisclosed sum of money to Mrs Shaw. She said;
The school trust said it has not accepted liability at any stage, and the matter was passed to its insurers.
Chris King, Head Teacher of Leicester Grammar School, said: