The wife of a former council worker who died from asbestos-related cancer has described his death as “corporate murder”, the Daily Record has reported.
Jacqueline Cotter, 57, has revealed how her family was left devastated by the death of husband Derek to the ticking timebomb of Mesothelioma, caused by asbestos.
The aggressive cancer is usually caused by the inhalation of asbestos but it can be decades after exposure, in some cases up to 50 years, for symptoms to show.
The mum-of-two spoke out after attending the annual memorial service in Glasgow marking Action Mesothelioma Day, which calls for better treatment, research and care for people with the condition.
Derek died last June, aged 60, first showing signs of illness just over a year earlier. Employed by Mears as a gas compliance manager, Derek hadn’t worked with asbestos for over 20 years.
It was in his previous work as a pipe fitter-welder where he was regularly exposed to the substance.
“A lot of people don’t realise how dangerous asbestos is. What is happening is just corporate murder,” said Jacqueline.