Sylvia Hall, 72, from Coventry lost husband Frank early this year, just four months after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer on the lining of the lungs caused by inhaling asbestos dust.
Frank, who was 75 when he died, worked as a carpenter for a number of businesses and organisations.
Sylvia instructed expert asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate the safety measures in place at each company to see how Frank came into contact with asbestos.
Now Sylvia is calling on former colleagues to come forward to help with the investigation. She said:
“Frank’s death has left a huge void in our lives. He will be missed dearly by all those who knew him.
His illness took him very quickly and he suffered a great deal of pain and anguish. Despite his condition, Frank battled bravely and with great courage until the very end.
Now I just want to know how Frank was able to get mesothelioma. Why wasn’t he better protected?
Nothing can turn back the clock of course, but it is important for my family and I to have these answers and to hold these organisations to account if they did not uphold their responsibilities to their workforce.”
Hayley Hill, an expert asbestos related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, representing Frank’s family, said:
“Mesothelioma is an asbestos-related disease for which there is sadly no cure.
Companies have been well aware of the risks associated with exposing staff to asbestos since before the 1950s so there is no excuse for workers not to have been properly protected.
Any former colleagues should get in touch as any information, no matter how small, could help us with our investigation and give Frank’s family the answers they deserve.”