The heartbroken family of a man once who worked as a builder in Hull are appealing to his former workmates to find out if working conditions could have contributed to his death.
Investigations into the death of Brian Palmer are underway after he was diagnosed mesothelioma, an aggressive cancer affecting the lining of the lungs, which is caused by exposure to asbestos.
Lawyers Irwin Mitchell are hoping to speak to for colleagues about how Mr Palmer, who died aged 71 in July 2016, may have been exposed to the deadly dust from the material during his work.
His wife, Sandra, and his children are appealing to people who may have worked with him at JC Wilson Ltd. Mr Palmer worked for the building company, which is now classed as “dissolved” according to UK Registry, as an apprentice in 1959 and remained with them until 1963
Mr Palmer’s family are urging those who worked alongside him to help explain if anything was done to protect him from asbestos exposure. Sandra, a grandmother of nine, said:
“When Brian started to suffer chest pains we never ever thought the problem was so serious, so we were completely shocked when he was diagnosed with mesothelioma.
It was extremely difficult for us to see his health deteriorate so quickly and we are determined to keep fighting for him and to understand why more wasn’t done to protect him from exposure to asbestos.
We can only hope that those who worked with him at JC Wilson Ltd will come forward and help us get justice for Brian.”
The lawyers representing the Palmer family, Irwin Mitchell, are keen to find out if warnings were given to employees about the dangers of asbestos, which is classed as the “biggest occupational killer of all time”.
Fay Marshall, a specialist industrial disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said:
“Mesothelioma is an extremely aggressive cancer which can cause a great deal of suffering to those who were exposed to it.
Unfortunately it still remains incurable and makes asbestos the biggest occupational killer of all time.
Asbestos has long been associated with the construction industry and we would like to hear from any of Brian’s former colleagues about the working conditions they experienced, the presence of asbestos in the working environment and if any procedures were in place to protect workers from the hazardous substance.”