Builders had to stop work to Spectrum House in Hendon, earlier this month when specialists had to remove asbestos cement sheeting and floor tiles from the structure, the Times Series has reported.
An assessment by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the asbestos to be low risk, the firm, SJB demolitions resumed work last week.
However, neighbours fear it still poses a danger because the fibres have not been damped down with water and could be dispersed and settle on nearby homes and gardens.
Nearby resident Stefan Bialoguski from is a father of four and is terrified of the consequences of asbestos dispersing into the air. He said:
“You can smell the dust in the air.
The residents are anxious that asbestos fibres may be settling in their homes. This is something that may not affect you now but for children it could impact them twenty years down the line.
Irreversible damage may have been done and we will have needlessly endured weeks of mental anguish.”
Neighbours have now approached their local MP, Mathew Offord, the HSE and Barnet Council.
After the people’s concerns were raised, the council sent an officer from Environmental Health to survey the site.
However, no inspectors from HSE were ever sent to the site and this has irritated people who live in the area, especially Mr Bialoguski who was upset when he found out demolition had started up again.
He says he has had to jump through hoops to get any information back from the HSE and has submitted a Freedom of Information request on October 16 to find out more about the survey.
A HSE spokesperson said:
“HSE made enquiries and alongside Barnet Council, gave verbal advice to the principal contractor which have been taken on board.
There is no evidence to suggest there are any serious ongoing risks to workers or members of the public at this time.”